Monday, 12 December 2016

Products

Two weeks ago I mentioned that the follow up to my short story collection (Ten Teatime Tales) was in production, now that some of the stories I wanted to include in it are now out of their exclusivity period. Well, I’m pleased to say that Ten Teatime Tales 2 (it took me months to come up with that title) is now available. (Just in time for all of those new electronic reading devices that will be unwrapped in a couple of weeks time.)
As writers, we tend not to think of our scribblings as products. But if you’re hoping to generate an income from your creativity it’s important to think about the different formats you can exploit in your work.
Let me give you an example. Ten Teatime Tales is a collection of ten of my previously published short stories. They’ve all appeared in magazines, or been placed in competitions, so they’ve already earned me some money. And now they’re generating another income stream appearing in this collection.
Ten Teatime Tales 2 is a collection of ten further stories, which have already appeared in print (and been paid for). From an ebook perspective it is simple enough to create a box set - one file that comprises both volumes. So, I’ve also launched Teatime Tales - The Box Set. And I’ve priced the box set accordingly, so it’s cheaper than buying the two volumes separately.
It also offers further flexibility, because when the next volume (Ten Teatime Tales 3 … I’m on a roll now with these titles) is released, it’ll be easy enough to update the box set again.
This is not just something for fiction writers to consider. The same process can be applied to non-fiction too. If you’ve written a collection of articles, all linked by a common theme, why not bring them together into an anthology: both in print and digital format?
Many of you will know that I write the Business of Writing column in Writing Magazine. I’m just in the final stages of bringing together some of these articles into book format: the ones I think will be of most interest to budding and newly published writers. The ebook version may be ready before Christmas, but I’m hoping to produce a print version in the New Year too.
All of these different products are possible because I still retain the necessary rights that allow me to exploit these opportunities in my work.
So as this year draws to a close, why not take a step back and review what you’ve produced over the last year or two? Perhaps you have a body of work that could become a new product for you: a collection of stories, an anthology or articles, or what about a book of blog posts?
Good luck.

4 comments:

  1. Simon - you are so right. I successfully published an anthology of my non-fiction articles on Amazon Kindle. A great way to get published and make some money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you. Yes, non-fiction anthologies work well too.

      Delete
  2. Haha - you read my mind. Was going to do something similar after the next '50 mistakes' book ... but I'd not thought of 'box setting' them. Genius. Is there copyright in half a title, and if so, are you the litigious kind? ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - nah, I won't pursue it of you go for a Mistakes Box Set ;-) (Actually, I think that would work really well!)

      Delete