Monday, 29 August 2016

Building A Story

A few months ago a neighbour knocked on my door and asked me to join her in her bedroom. Now, I know what you’re all thinking, you dirty-minded lot, but you’re wrong. She was quite fraught, because the builder who was working on her property had demanded £800 cash from her the day before, and expected to collect it that morning. Suffice to say that her husband wasn’t impressed, so he’d phoned the police and spoken to trading standards to find out what to do. Which is where I came in … apparently. When you think about it, it makes sense. Who else would you call on to deal with eight burly builders demanding money? You can imagine my relief when I learned that the husband would be outside liaising with the builders while I was with his wife in their bedroom … listening in to what was said as an independent witness. 

Of course, while I was recording what was being said on my phone, just in case things got nasty, my mind was busy creating a short story. How would someone who hated dealing with tradesmen get rid of an obnoxious builder if her husband was away? And, ideally, could she do it in a way that led to the builder getting his comeuppance? 

It was at this point that my neighbour’s kitchen timer went off, and she clasped both hands to her face. “My dough is ready!” 

I wondered what she was going on about. At first I thought she was referring to the £800 cash the builders wanted. But no. She was proving her bread dough on a low heat in the oven and now it was ready for baking. Dough … bread … money … annoying builders … ah! My story was coming together.

Thankfully, the builders in question understood they’d gone too far and left the premises. One mention of the police and trading standards soon had them packing up their tools. My recording was not needed in a court of law. But it wasn’t a wasted morning. I got a short story out of it. 

Ideas are everywhere, if you know where to look.


Good luck. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Simon, I totally agree, ideas are most definitely everywhere. You just have to turn on your curiosity tap.
    Well done on getting the story published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interesting thing is that if you gave a room of writers those details they'd all come up with different stories. It's amazing how ideas for stories cone to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The interesting thing is that if you gave a room of writers those details they'd all come up with different stories. It's amazing how ideas for stories cone to us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The interesting thing is that if you gave a room of writers those details they'd all come up with different stories. It's amazing how ideas for stories cone to us!

    ReplyDelete