Monday, 25 May 2015

Hi Res, Hi Res, Hi Res!

On 13th April I posted about the joys of pitching one idea, but being commissioned for something slightly different (http://simonwhaleytutor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/no-but-yes.html). Well, that ‘different’ piece has now been published, and if you haven’t already bought the June issue of Writers’ Forum, then take care when turning to pages 14 and 15. To have me looking at you through one photo is bad enough, but to have seven more photos of me staring up at you must be horrifying! (And several people have also commented that the way I’ve morphed from Terry Pratchett into Simon Whaley is quite an achievement too, particularly as it involves a pink wig.)

Anyway, if you buy a copy of the magazine and scrutinise the penultimate image you’ll see it looks quite blurry. This was intentional, but not because I’m trying to hide any wrinkles or lines, etc. No, it’s what happens when an editor is sent a low resolution author photo image when, for magazine purposes, they really need high resolution photos.

Now, many of you may say, “But I’m not an author. I don’t need an author photo.” Rollocks, to that. Every writer needs a head and shoulder’s photo of themselves, because magazines are asking for them these days. Go through Writers’ Forum magazine and the short story winners all have photos at the end of their stories. Pick up BBC Countryfile, My Weekly, Country Walking, Country Living, or The Simple Things, to name a few, and you’ll see that magazines often use a This Issue’s Contributors at the front, containing photos of some of the writers. 

It doesn’t matter whether you write articles, short stories, non-fiction books, poems or novels, at some point you’re going to get asked to provide an author photo. So, why not buy a copy of the June issue of Writers’ Forum to consider my suggestions about what you should, and shouldn’t, include in a photo? And then head over to my website, where, if you click this link: http://www.simonwhaley.co.uk/head-and-shoulders/, you’ll get taken to a post where you can download my free (yes free) PDF guide to how to ensure your author photo is of a high enough resolution.


Good luck! 

6 comments:

  1. I cheated and married a professional photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Simon, I've got one on my blog but I'll check and see if its good enough for anything else. And if not, I'll make sure to get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one you have on your blog is perfect for you blog. But a magazine would need something a little bigger, Maria. Use the Head and Shoulder slink in the post to download info and what to look for (file size). Simon

      Delete
  3. I was in a local newsagents, flicking through the magazine when I came across the article. Some great tips, though I have to admit I hate having my photo taken. I much prefer to be behind the lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I much prefer being behind the camera taking the photos (although the photos in Writers' Forum were taken by me, thanks to the timer options!). But when an editor commissions you, sometimes you just have to step up to the plate ;-)

      Delete