Monday, 22 December 2014

Merry Christmas!

Well, if you’re not sorted for Christmas yet then you’d better stop writing and start shopping. There’s not long now!

Actually, I quite like writing at this time of year. Now we’re into the final few days in the run up to the festive day, and then the New Year celebrations, there’s little point in approaching editors. Many won’t be back in the office until after New Year, so any ideas pitched or submissions made won’t be looked at until the first few days of 2015 at the earliest. So instead, I turn my thoughts to developing some of my speculative projects, such as writing some short stories. (Incidentally, I found out last week that one of my stories has made the final shortlist in a competition!)

It’s that old adage: a change is as good as a rest - and by focusing on different projects at this time of year, I feel the benefits of the change, yet I’m still writing. For this two-week period I give myself the permission to write what I really want to write, rather than what I should be writing to earn some money. Try it. Experiment. See where your writing takes you. Just write what comes. Make the effort to write something completely different to what you normally write throughout the rest of the year. You never know what might arise from it.

You might find this freedom puts you in a better frame of mind, giving you the psychological strength to cope with the pressures this time of year has a habit of putting on us when family relations descend upon us for a few days!

So thank you for reading my posts over the last twelve months. I wish everyone seasons greetings. And here’s to a creatively prosperous 2015.


Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Exactly my plan! I think I need a rest.

    I confess to pitching to editors this morning and got two replies. By 9.30 it transpired that I'd pitched a dog article to a cat magazine. I've been backtracking ever since, trying to get a commission for the cat feature that I intended to propose to them!

    Perhaps I should go back to bed and start again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you Simon, for all your useful posts throughout the year.

    A Merry Christmas and Happy 2015

    ReplyDelete