Monday, 22 July 2013

Happy Times


I’m in receipt of a brand new Moleskine notebook - my prize for having a letter published in the latest issue of Writers’ Forum magazine. I was writing in response to a letter in the previous issue, where a reader was moaning about the number of sad, melancholic stories that judges were selecting as the winners in competitions.

It was an interesting observation, but, as I pointed out in my letter, a judge can only select a winner from the entries submitted and if all of the entries are dour and melancholic, then the winners are going to be dour and melancholic!

As someone who has judged several short story competitions, I’ve seen myself how frequently judges are subjected to such sad stories! I’ve had to sit down and read through a pile of over 200 stories, all with sad and poignant endings, and it isn’t easy to remain upbeat and positive after that! I understand why writers want to tackle such subjects. Often, they are emotionally charged, tackling matters that many judges and readers can empathise with: the loss of a loved one, the passing of a family pet, or the coming to terms with a life-changing illness. Some writers may even feel that tackling such subjects lends itself to a more literary style of writing, and perhaps a better piece of writing, which they think may improve their chances of winning. 

On occasions when I’ve judged competitions and found myself reading about death, after death, after death, after death, I’m desperate to read something funny and upbeat (to save myself contemplating my own mortality, if nothing else!). And if I come across such a story, it’s more likely to stand out in my memory. As a result, this increases its chances of being placed within the winning entries.

Which also raises a point I’ve mentioned before in this blog: the first idea you have isn’t always the best. Whatever you’re writing, spend some time developing your ideas. Churn them over in your head for a few days and see what develops. Often, the first three ideas should be rejected, because they’re the same three ideas all the other writers are going to come up with. It’s the different idea that stands out.

Back in 2005, it was the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, when Nelson was fatally wounded. Many of my students wrote competent anniversary articles commemorating the battle and Nelson’s life. But of the hundreds of articles on this subject that I read, the one I can remember today, eight years later, is the article that looked at the life of Nelson’s mistress, Lady Hamilton, after his death in 1805. 

So, if you’re fed up of reading morbid, depressing stories as winners of competitions, then why don’t you write something different and enter it into a competition? If you dismiss your first three ideas, you may just come up with something different enough to make your writing stand out when the judge comes to read it.

Good luck. 

8 comments:

  1. I entered a humorous story into a competition. It came nowhere but the top three all had a morbid or dark tone. I wonder what this tells us? It might have been that my story was just no good... except for the fact that I then sold it to a magazine for much more than the competition prize money! I really enjoy writing humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Wendy! That just shows that it's worth writing humour. But it is interesting that the three winners in that competition you entered all had a dark, morbid tone to them.

      Delete
  2. Simon - well done on actually receiving your Moleskine. The last time I had a letter printed in WF the promised Moleskine never arrived, despite a follow up email explaining the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob,

      That's a shame! Actually, I've heard from other letters writers who live abroad and don't receive the prizes. I'm not sure why, though.

      Simon

      Delete
  3. Gloom & doom sells. Apart from royal babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what Wendy said.
    I've heard this advice from competition judges on several occasions, but if the judges want people to enter more humourous/less depressing stories then the judges have to sometimes put them in the winners list. Otherwise it all becomes a bit self-fulfilling, I'm afraid.
    It could be, of course, that the morbid stories always happen to be better written, and there are more of them so the odds are in their favour. Or maybe there is something embedded in the judging criteria - either formal or instinctive - that gives tragic stories an advantage. Do the others feel too 'light' perhaps?
    I'd love to see more uplifting stories win competitions, as I too am getting a little weary of reading about tragedy and abuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we should have competition that set a 'happy' or 'cheerful' theme? I wonder if any competition organisers out there are listening? I'd be happy to judge it, if they are!

      Delete