Monday, 20 February 2012

Got A Favourite Recipe?

Do you have a favourite recipe? If so, and you can take a photo of it, then look out for Take a Break's new magazine My Favourite Recipe.

They're looking for readers [or writers :-)] to send in their favourite recipes, which could be a classic recipe, or one you've adapted for everyday use, or for those special occasions.

What they need is:

  • the recipe,
  • a photo of the final, cooked dish,
  • and a photo of you.
For each recipe they feature they pay £25, and readers have the chance to vote for their favourite recipe of the month. The recipe for the most votes wins £500.

Taking photos of the finished dish isn't straight forward, so Take a Break have offered some useful tips:

  • Keep the background clear and unfussy. Take the finished dish on a white table cloth, not up against the microwave with a family pack of Doritos hanging over the edge!
  • Don't zoom in too much - take the whole dish, not just the fancy parsley crowning the top.
  • Hold the camera about a foot (30cms) away from the dish.
  • Take a couple of photos - one from above and one from the side.


Further details can be found on www.myfavouriterecipes.net

Now, where's my recipe for beans on toast?

Good luck.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Simon,

    Came across your blog via The Literary Pig and good to make contact. Also have become a follower.

    Also you have competition, beans on toast!!!

    Check my blog out at http://thewrongplaceatthewrongtime.blogspot.com

    Good day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    This blog has irritated me slightly... Not what have you written, it just reaffirms what I thought, I knew there was a take-a-break recipe magazine. I went into our local shop (where I live it’s the only “newsagents” around) and asked rather politely, if it was possible to order the magazine, she humoured slightly by looking in their order book thing, and said that it didn’t exist and I must be mistaken, she admitted that their magazine selection is rather poor. Which prompted me to mention a creative writing course I have started and I explained what kind of magazines I was looking for (we leave for England soon, so I didn’t want to push my luck too much, by trying to order a load of magazines I won’t be around to buy) This woman looked me up and down with a look of utter disdain and suggested “you might wanna give that a miss love.”

    What kind of customer service is that? I deal with customers all the time and realise that it’s not easy to please everyone – but her crushing comment was more hurtful than if I had leaned over my counter and bashed someone over the head with my stamp book!

    Love your blog by the way Bex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have been of help Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone,

    I thought I would post this email I had from a non-UK-based reader who's had an interesting experience with this.

    Cheers,

    Simon

    Hi Simon

    Thanks for sending your Blog - I often find the suggestions very helpful. This one below, however, proved to be a disappointment. I got my recipe all worked out, took photos and sent it all off - only to receive a reply (the next day) to say they cannot accept submissions from outside the UK. Maybe you could pass this on to any of your students/blog recipients who live elsewhere in the world.

    Kind regards

    Janet Traill

    ReplyDelete