Monday, 8 February 2010

There are changes afoot ...

There are a couple of changes taking place to some of the popular freelance markets here in the UK, I thought I'd bring to your attention.

The first is The Lady. It was revamped about six months ago when the new editor, Rachel Johnson took over. I've heard that the circulation figures have dropped, so over recent weeks it has undergone another 'tweak' as the editor continues to make changes. Following a major revamp a magazine can take up to a year to 'settle down' into its new format, so this is nothing out of the ordinary, but for us writers, it does keep us on our toes! If you take a look at the website (click the link earlier) you'll see that this has undergone a major change too. Interestingly for overseas readers, or anyone who can't get hold of a copy here in the UK, some of the features can now be found and read online, so some basic market analysis can be carried out here (although this is no substitution for actually buying a copy of the magazine).

It appears that the editor has begun some regular columns with 'big name' writers, so this does cut down the number of freelance written pages, but there are still opportunities. A flick through the current issue demonstrates at least five freelance written articles (and remember, The Lady is a weekly). So, check out the revamped issue. If you haven't looked in a while, you are in for a shock.

Some better news comes in the form of Best of British magazine. With effect from the March 2010 issue (out on February 27th) the magazine is increasing in size ... to 96 pages in total! So, with more pages, it will need more content! Again, the magazine is undergoing a slight revamp, although I'm sure it will only be a slight 'tweaking' as opposed to a a radical revamp like The Lady. If this is a market that you've written for before, or wondered whether you could produce something, then take a look at the new March issue when it comes out. This has always been a good market for my students!

And finally, to finish off this 'changes afoot' posting, here's a wonderful, overheard conversation that I listened to at the Royal Shrewsbury hospital last week, between two old ladies:

Old Lady 1: Ooh, I'm pushing to have one of those walk-in showers fitted. You know the ones I mean, not one of those contraptions hanging over the bath.

Old Lady 2: What? A wet room?

Old Lady 1: No! Not a wet room. I couldn't afford a permanently wet room. I'm on a water meter!

Good luck!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting on our blog today! We really enjoyed your book 100 ways For A Dog To Train Its Human and we're looking forward to reading 100 Muddy Paws For Thought.

    Shen and The Paw Relations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought The Lady years ago, but never had any luck with them. the new re-vamping sounds interesting so I might have another look at them now! I hope it's done away with all of 'nanny ads'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Simon, Like yourself I received an invite to a book fair in Newport - Book Nook venture - and can't find a record of the date/ time! Typical, trying to do too many things at once. Help please!
    Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thanks for this.
    I think I'll have a go at sending something to the Best of British mag.
    I did send something a couple of years ago but it wasn't accepted. I looked at it recently though and I can see how I can rejig it to suit.
    I suppose that's a start.
    Cheers Simon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivienne - No, The Lady hasn't done away with the Nanny Ads, although they're at the back of the publication now, rather than being at the front! Do take a look at the magazine, you should always look at a magazine when it has been revamped - you never know what opportunities may have arisen since you last peeked!

    And Sue- yes, get rejigging! That's definitely a start! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think there's any chance of The Lady going back to publishing fiction?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patsy

    I'm not sure ... when the editor stopped the fiction slot, she did say she would consider the feedback she received. So, you could say it's in our hands. If all the fiction writers sent letters in to the letters page, saying bring back fiction, the editor may reconsider!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did send one - they didn't print it.

    ReplyDelete