Thursday, 16 April 2009

Exposed!

If any of you happen to get the May 2009 issue of Writer's Forum magazine, then yes, that is me being featured in the "Where I write" column just inside the back page. There I am, exposed, for you all to see.

Since that picture was taken (by me!) there have been a few changes to my office environment. The computer has changed to an all new, all singing, all dancing Apple iMac, which is great (everything just works and I am not sorry to see the back of Windoze), and I also have a new chair. The chair saga has been running for several months and I am probably on my fifth chair in that timescale. No, don't panic, I don't go all heavy metal rock star-type and through a right wobbly, trashing my chair every time I get a rejection. (If I did, I'd have had more than 5 chairs by now.) It's just that being 6 foot 1 tall, means getting the right height chair, relative to the height of the keyboard on the desk, has not been an easy problem to solve. And until retailers will allow you to take your desk 'chair-shopping' with you so that you can check out the height at the actual desk you will be working at, it seems I am destined to follow the infuriating rigmarole of taking a tape-measure with me, identifying how high the seat needs to go and then go around the showroom setting every chair to its highest setting before measuring it. Suffice to say, I think I've now found the right height chair.

On a serious note, when perched at your writing desk, you should be thinking right angles. Your feet should be at right angles to your shins - which means either flat on the floor, or on a footrest (like mine have to be because I have to have the seat set so high). Your thighs, should then be at right angles to your shins, and your back, at right angles to your thighs. Ideally, your elbows should be bent at right angles, so that your hands loosely drape over your keyboard, as opposed to being bent upwards at the wrists.

The correct posture is a necessity, for if you get it wrong, you will be plagued by aches and pains, which are not conducive to being a productive writer.

This will be my last post for a few days or so, because I'm off to stretch my legs in the Lake District next week. Hopefully, when I return, I shall be able to tell you about all the ideas I've had whilst away!

Good luck.

4 comments:

  1. I had to giggle when I saw the picture - I'm currently sat with my legs crossed and I'm hunched over my laptop!! Slap hands. Your work space is a whole lot tidier than mine even though I've had a clear out! My husband's comment, on seeing your workspace was, "Well he doesn't have trouble with piles does he?"

    Enough said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie for mentioning every writers nightmare (OK one of them!)

    Good advice Simon! I used to be responsible for Health and Safety (plus all sorts of other more exciting things) in a large organisation and these issues are very important. Ignore them at your peril.

    Anyway - lucky you and enjoy the walking, fingers crossed for sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your desk is pretty organised. My writing style currently consists of sitting on sofa hunched over laptop.

    And all the books and folders dotted all over the place around me.

    I keep telling myself, when I have a room for writing, I will be tidier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work station is exactly the same as my work station.

    ReplyDelete