Wednesday, 3 September 2008

But It Says September On The Calendar!

I'm just preparing to go off to the National Association of Writer's Group's Festival of Writing at Durham in Northern England where I shall be running 3 workshops this year. After that I shall be spending a few days on holiday, so this is my last post for a week or so.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to remind you about timescales in this writing world of ours. I've marked a couple of assignments this week by students who have submitted articles that would be appropriate for the November issues of the publications they were targeting. However, even though it's only the beginning of September now, the November issues of monthly (and some weekly magazines) will already be finalised.

Ideally, you need to be working about 6 months in advance for a monthly magazine. I'm currently writing articles for January issues at the moment, and thinking about February and March. For weekly publications you need to be thinking at least 12 weeks in advance and submitting material at least 10 weeks in advance.

This often means that for the writer it's a very topsy turvey world. In Winter you're writing about summer stories and in summer you're writing winter stories!

Of course, nothing in this game is wasted, those students merely need to file their work and then send it off next May in time for next November. And let's face it, if you're thinking of ideas for next February and March, it'll be next May before you even know it!

Good luck.

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your blog so much, I have given you an award - see my blog for details.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete