Monday, 19 May 2008

See? Even I get rejected!

I know, I know, I know. Two posts in one day, what is going on? Well I just thought I'd share with you my latest rejection. Yes - even I get rejections (and often I receive more than one on the same day!)


Like many writers, I too have written 'the novel' which I'm now trying to attract some interest in. In addition to publishers I'm trying to approach literary agents at the same time. Here's what the latest had to say:

Dear Simon Whaley,

Thank you for your submission of material to United Agents.

We regret that the volume of material we receive means that, in order to give priority to careful reading of work sent to us, we are unable to reply personally to submissions.

Having considered your material, we do not feel, sorry to say, sufficiently confident of being the right people to represent it successfully. It’s a cracking, funny read, and you are obviously a gifted writer, but we just weren’t passionate enough about the subject matter to want to take it any further. But we would love the chance to see anything else you write.

Decisions about representation are necessarily subjective; you might like to try other agencies for a different response from ours. We wish you the best of luck placing your work elsewhere.

All good wishes,

Reader, Submissions Department

The point I want to make here is that as with all written material, the decision between acceptance and rejection is so subjective. Your writing needs to win the approval of at least one person. Yet one person's great is another person's not-so-great...and the comments I received above demonstrate this.

So it's back to the drawing board and onto the next one on my list. Well you didn't expect me to give up that easily did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment