Monday, 11 February 2008

Success comes to those who persevere

One of my students is walking on cloud 9 at the moment, (if not cloud 99). He's just been asked by an editor to write an article. Yes, the editor approached him. He's been commissioned. How did he do it? By hard work and perseverance.

The editor knew him, because he'd submitted several pieces of work on spec, some of which the editor had used. So the editor knew that my student could write and produce publishable work. 

It's so easy to give up. It's so easy to become despondent when a manuscript is returned. We spend so much time putting our thoughts and efforts into producing a piece, it is so disheartening when an editor says 'no'. But that time is only wasted IF we just shrug our shoulders and give up. However, writers who pick up their pen once again, or switch on their keyboards, will use the experience in which to grow as a writer. 

So instead of working on just his assignments, this student has written other material and had confidence in submitting his work. Yes he's had rejections, but he's also had several successes. But he wouldn't have had an editor commission him if he had given up. 

Keep persevering and it will pay off. You too could get that phone call from an editor asking you to help him out. And that feeling is one of the best in the world.

Oh and John - well done, by the way.  

2 comments:

  1. Yes, well done John.

    I hope to be in a similar situation one day. I regularly send short articles to local papers and have just branched out to magazines in the area too.

    Last month a short piece appeared in a county magazine - alas with no credit - but it is a start.

    My name is becoming known and I too feel more confident about submitting things. I also actively seek out suitable subjects to write about. If I see a suitable event advertised, I contact the organiser and then offer to do a little 'promotional' work. These events are charitable affairs, so whilst I don't get paid, I do feel that I am contributing something.

    Who knows where this will lead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, thanks for this comment. This is exactly the right attitude to have, and it WILL pay dividends in the long run. It's all about being proactive!

    Congratulations on the county piece too!

    ReplyDelete